Tuesday 20 January 2009

Obama - inauguration speech



Measured, I'd say. I guess the two simple tests for me are first do I feel inspired hearing it (answer, well, a little) and secondly, do I remember any of it (well, honestly, no).

On second listen, I guess the 'all are equal, all are free, all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness' line works well for me (even forgiving the 'god given' bit) - though it really lacked a peroration, or glorious crescendo.

My largest wry smile was how the camera panned to George W Bush as Obama delivered the line 'As for our common defence, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals.' - the closest he really came to sketching out clear blue water between him and Bush (over waterboarding, and the like).

Well, I kinda know that with a crowd of two million you can't use call and response - but I do miss his 'yes we can'. Overall - clearly not a Kennedy.



Oh - and what on earth was the first President Bush wearing on his head?

No comments:

Post a Comment